Industrial Relations & Arbitration Office (ABZ)
Among other tasks, the Industrial Relations & Arbitration Office is responsible for the implementation of the Agreement on Free Movement of People between Switzerland and the European Union, it offers advice on the Labour Law and answers questions regarding the following subjects: elimination of illegal and undeclared "clandestine" employment, supporting measures relating to the Agreement on Free Movement of People, labour market-specific examination of work permits as well as employment agencies and recruitment services. The ABZ is also the Central Office for National Economic Supply.
The Industrial Relations & Arbitration Office primarily focuses on the following activities:
- Implementation of supporting measures relating to the Agreement on Free Movement of People between Switzerland and the European Union.
- Labour market-specific admission of foreign employees who have an occupation that requires a licence or notification in the Canton of Basel-Stadt.
- Provision of legal advice, both face-to-face and by telephone, relating to Employment Contract law.
- Elimination of illegal and undeclared clandestine employment
- Granting approval for employment agencies and the recruitment services.
- Review and approval of Alpine sports activities.
- Granting approval for professional marriage and partner agencies dealing with countries outside Switzerland.
- Implementing processes of the permanent state Arbitration Office in the case of collective disputes (among others as a contractual court of arbitration).