The cantonal offices for weights and measures, authorised measurement offices and the Swiss Federal Office of Metrology (METAS) are responsible for monitoring measurement equipment in Switzerland. In the Canton of Basel-Stadt, the measurement office reports to the Labour Inspectorate.
Our services include the following:
- Calibration of measurement equipment (scales, petrol pumps, etc.)
- Monitoring of pre-packaged food – does the package contain the right amount?
- Market monitoring and inspection – does the measurement equipment comply with the statutory provisions?
- Supervision and training of private individuals, e.g. public weighers or individuals authorised to attach seals.
If you have any questions regarding suitable measurement equipment for your business, do not hesitate to contact us.
Statutory principles and regulations:
What you should also know:
- Selling net quantities (PDF, 391 KB, in German only)
- Register your new measuring device (PDF, 22 KB, in German only)
Notify us of any incorrect measurements of your purchases (e.g. gross instead of net).