Non-EU member states (third countries): Self-employment
In the following cases, third-country nationals do not need a labour market examination/check to take up self-employment:
- The foreign citizen is in possession of a residence permit (C).
- The spouse or registered partner is in possession of a residence permit (C)
- The foreign citizen is married to a Swiss or living in a registered partnership
- The foreign citizen is married to or living in a registered partnership with an EU-/EFTA member state citizen
Third-country nationals who do not meet any of the above criteria can submit an application to the Office of Economy and Labour (AWA) to take up self-employment under the following conditions:
- There is an overall economic interest
- The required financial and operational resources exist
- The personal conditions are fulfilled
If all three conditions are fulfilled, you may submit the completed application by post to the following address:
Office of Economy and Labour
Important note: Do not submit applications by e-mail!