Work Permits

We are your point of contact for labour market admissions on the Basel labour market.


COVID-19 – Since 15 June 2020, persons from all Schengen states covered by the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (AFMP) or EFTA Agreement have been allowed to enter and stay in Switzerland or to engage in gainful employment in accordance with the regular entry requirements. Thus, the rights of free movement under the AFMP and the EFTA Agreement have been fully restored. In addition, as of 6 July 2020, the Federal Council has, among other things, lifted the admission restrictions for stays requiring a permit for third-country nationals. As a result, notifications via the notification procedure (for persons who can refer to the AFMP or the EFTA agreement) and labour market applications (for persons from third countries) will be processed and approved by us if the relevant requirements of the AFMP/Posted Workers Act (PWA) and/or Foreign Nationals and Integration Act (FNIA) are met. Regarding the admission to the labour market there are no further restrictions due to Covid-19. Neverthe-less, entry restrictions or conditions (such as the obligation to maintain quarantine in accord-ance with Art. 2 or the obligation to notify in accordance with Art. 5 of the Ordinance on Measures to Combat Coronavirus (Covid-19) in International Passenger Traffic) must be observed. Please contact the FOPH and the competent authorities of the Canton of Basel-Stadt for further information.

You will find the links to the information of the Federal Council of 12 June 2020, to the SEM directive of 6 July 2020, to the Ordinance 3 on Measures to Combat Coronavirus (Covid-19; incl. annex) and to the Ordinance on Measures to Combat Coronavirus (Covid-19) in Interna-tional Passenger Traffic either at the end of the page "Notification procedure" ("Further im-portant information (...)") or "Non-EU/EFTA member states (third countries): Commencement of work with an employer in Switzerland and postings" ("Important links and forms").


BREXIT – The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020 (so-called Brexit). Until 31 December 2020, a transition period was in place during which the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (AFMP) between the UK and Switzerland continued to apply. As of 1 January 2021, the AFMP will no longer apply to the UK. Instead, the agreement between Switzerland and the UK on citizens’ rights because of the UK's withdrawal from the EU and the discontinuation of the AFMP (Citizens’ Rights Agreement) and the Services Mobility Agreement (SMA) will come into force. More information can be found in the navigation on the left hand side under "Brexit".

  • Notification procedure

    Find out about your notification duties and the online notification procedure for postings as well as short-term work of up to three months with a Swiss employer.

  • EU-26/EFTA: Commencement of work with an employer in Switzerland for more than three months

    General information for employers regarding the employment and work of EU-27/EFTA nationals in Switzerland.

  • EU-26/EFTA: Postings

    A work permit is not required for postings of up to 90 days per calendar year. There is, however, a duty to notify to be complied with directly via the notification procedure.

  • EU-1 (Croatia)

    Protocol III of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (AFMP) provides transitional provisions regarding gainful work for Croatian nationals (EU-1). Authorisation is still required for numerous activities.

  • Brexit

    Brexit and its labour market effects as of 1 January 2021

  • Non-EU/EFTA member states (third countries): Commencement of work with an employer in Switzerland and postings

    Third-country nationals are subject to restrictive conditions under the law on foreign nationals regarding admission to the Swiss labour market.

  • Non-EU member states (third countries): Self-employment

    Nationals from third countries are subject to particular conditions under the law on foreign nationals for taking up self-employment.

  • Wages

    Would you like to find out whether minimum wages exist in a specific industry and what wages apply in a certain region or industry? Do you know how to calculate the respective wage yourself? Use the wage calculator of the Federal Statistical Office.

  • Au-Pairs

    All applications for au-pair permits must be submitted to AWA. Applications related to au-pairs from third countries may be submitted to AWA by licensed Swiss au-pair organisations only.

  • Trade fair assignments

    The employment of foreign staff at trade fairs requires notification or a permit application.