Foreign nationals wishing to work as au-pairs in Switzerland require a work permit. All applications must be submitted to the Office of Economy and Labour (AWA).

Non-EU/EFTA (third countries)

Applications relating to third-country nationals must be submitted to the AWA by a licensed and official Swiss au-pair organisation. Hence, au-pair families may not submit applications directly to the AWA. The Federal Office for Migration, reference 4.4.11 (PDF, 1.9 MB, in German only) has entrusted the official au-pair organisations with the duty of conducting the prior reviews.

EU-28/ EFTA member states (incl. Croatia)

Since au-pair applications are not subject to the Agreement on the Free Movement of People, respective applications including the contract must also be submitted to the AWA for au-pairs from EU-/EFTA member states.

A submission of the application by a licensed and official Swiss au-pair organisation is not required.

You can submit the application with the documents (curriculum vitae, employment contract, etc.) on-line using this link as “local employment, employee, newly arrived/start of job:

Online application for a work permit for a foreign worker or cross-border services (in German only)

nach oben