Non-EU/EFTA member states (third countries): Commencement of work with an employer in Switzerland and postings


Third-country nationals are subject to particular provisions regarding admission to the Swiss labour market. Information about access to the Swiss labour market is available from the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).

Ab dem 1. Januar 2019 unterliegt die Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit für anerkannte Flüchtlinge (Ausweis B), vorläufig aufgenommene Flüchtlinge (Ausweis F) und vorläufig aufgenommene Personen (Ausweis F) nicht mehr einer Bewilligungs- sondern einer Meldepflicht. Vor der Aufnahme der Erwerbstätigkeit, die unter Einhaltung der orts- und branchenüblichen Lohn- und Arbeitsbedingungen in der ganzen Schweiz ausgeübt werden kann, müssen Arbeitgebende / selbstständig erwerbende Personen / beauftragte Drittpersonen eine vorgängige Meldung an die zuständige Behörde des Arbeitsortes einreichen. Im Kanton Basel-Stadt ist dies das Migrationsamt Basel-Stadt. Somit sind die Meldungen sowie alle weiteren Fragen an folgende E-Mail-Adresse zu richten:

General information for Swiss and foreign employers wishing to locally hire or post a third-country national to Switzerland.

As regards gainful work, the following foreign persons require a work permit and are subject to restrictive conditions under the law on foreign nationals:

  • People who enter Switzerland for work purposes
    • Start of employment/immigration
    • Cross-border commuters
    • Postings
  • Students with part-time jobs
  • Family members of persons with a short-term residence (permit L)
  • Asylum seekers (permit N) wishing to work after expiry of the waiting period

There are special conditions for:


In the case of applications for interns, decisions are made exclusively by the SEM based on existing internship contracts with the individual countries. See also Internship programmes.


A work permit for a trainee may only be submitted if it relates to a mandatory internal corporate group or compulsory university training. In the latter case, the application must be submitted to us by one of the two student organisations IAESTE or AIESEC.


Important information: against the backdrop of the tense quota situation, only applications that meet the overall economic interest can be approved at present.


Please submit the completed application via our work permit platform (for this please use one of the two links below) or by post to the following address:

Office of Economy and Labour
Work Permits
Utengasse 36
4005 Basel

Important note: Do not submit applications by email!

Please note

Face-to-face appointments by prior arrangement only.
Telephone advice
09:00 - 11:00 a.m.
02:00 - 04:00 p.m.
Tel. +41 61 267 50 60